While there is no precise count, some experts believe New York is home to as many as 800 languages. For this reason, New York is often recognized as the world’s most linguistically and culturally diverse city.


New York City is the largest city in the United States and one of the largest cities in North America. According to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, 51 percent of the population in New York speaks only English, especially in their homes. The remaining 49 percent speak other languages. Spanish, Spanish Creole, Chinese, Russian, French Creole, Hindi, Gujarati or Urdu and the Yiddish are among the many common languages spoken in New York City.


New York is known for its famous “New York accent” in the English language. However, not everybody who lives in this city speaks with such an accent. However, it remains to be one of the most recognizable American accents globally because of its common media portrayal. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *